Today is Get to Know Your Customers Day, and we wanna do just that! I'm not sure if we've made it clear by now, but you peeps are the freakin' best! I'm always happy to chat it up if you have a simple question (or drop by with a virtual hi!), but I reeeeally love corresponding about custom pieces because it affords me the privilege to be a part of your unique story - to see and hear what you generously choose to share with me. Candids of your inner circle. Your excitement about an upcoming wedding. Your grief for the loss of a loved one. Silly photos of the best pet in the whole wide world.
We welcome, nay encourage, this kind of intimate sharing between maker and patron - an authentic human connection across the globe, even if it is over the internet. Be assured, we are present in our responses to you. We want to know about your journey and the person in the picture who was an important part of it. Or hey, if that's not your thing and you just want to drop a photo and some cute emojis in a message to us, that's your business (has anyone else watched Tabitha Brown - that's muh girl!) We happily accept as much or as little participation in this getting-to-know-ya thing that you want to put out into the Universe.
With that being said, Lauren and I thought it would be really cool if we shared some things about ourselves that you may or may not know, and vice versa. We would love for you to leave a comment below telling us one thing about yourself so that we can become better acquainted with you as a patron, person and part of a beautiful collective. It doesn't have to be super private or juicy (unless that's your jam - no judgement!), and there's actually a bonus incentive involved. Each entry will go into a drawing for $50 gift card to use in our shop before 2021, with a winning name to be picked on August 1st!
As promised, here are three things you didn't even know you've been dying to know about us! Can't wait to read yours, friends!
- I spent a decade working with at-risk youth and homeless veterans as a case manager before joining the Yugen jewelry team.
- A longtime favorite saying of mine is the Latin phrase "Quod me nutrit, me destruit", which translates to "What nourishes me, also destroys me."
- I tend to be as authentic, open and receptive as possible in social situations because I'm an introverted-extrovert empath (say that a few times fast), so I frequently require recovery time to recharge my batteries after such occasions.
- I have a green thumb and am obsessed with plants - indoor ones, outdoor ones, flowering ones, fruiting ones...and the obsession of collecting and learning about them has grown even more rampant since being quarantined! (I would apologize to my husband, but I'm just not sorry.)
- I am bisexual - I publicly came out in 2019, though I've known since high school. Taking up space in the LGBTQ+ community is something I'm working on, so, here I am - taking up some damn space.
- I have a bachelor's degree in fine art photography and my favorite photo medium is Polaroid (may it RIP.) I have several cameras that take different formats of Polaroid film, and a daylab where I can project slides onto peel-apart Polaroid film and do manipulations. I still shoot them to this day, but VERY sparingly since Polaroid film doesn't exist, and the alternatives simply do not hold a candle to the old stuff (don't @ me I've tried it.)
Now YOU :)